Enter your email address in the box below to receive email updates when new pictures, videos, or articles are added to our class blog!

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Van de Walle Math Resource



I have been able to attend a 3-day professional development at GRREC that focuses on using the Van de Walle book.  I've attended one day so far and loved it!  This book focuses on using hands-on learning and letting students experience "productive struggle"- giving them a problem to solve that is really difficult, but they can solve if they try out some strategies, think about it, and not give up.  This is such a great resource because it focuses on the conceptual understanding of math skills and not just the procedure of how to solve a problem.  We discussed this process this morning and I turned students loose on a problem- it was great!  It's discussions like this that reminds me how much I love my job!